Thursday, July 30, 2009

23

Hours later, Ricardo and Laura managed to escape from the rest of their family and find a place to sit outside. They settled into their favorite chairs and sat without speaking for a few minutes, enjoying the peace and quiet.

"Seriously, Ricky, I wish you would have told me," Laura finally said, rocking slowly back and forth in the chair on the porch. "Anna said that you told her."

"I told her this morning, when she came to ask me about something. I didn't search her out. Besides, I only just found him yesterday, and we didn't get to talk last night. If we had, I would have told you."

Laura sighed. "I know. I just felt, well, out of sorts, you know?"

"I know," Ricardo replied. "But if it helps, Miles didn't notice."

"Really?"

"Really. He actually told me that he was impressed with the way you handled Sophia. Those were his exact words."

Laura laughed. "I 'handled' her, did I? I guess actors are kind of like wild animals..."

Ricardo laughed with her. "In any case, I think you helped him out a lot today. Do you think he's ready to be on his own tomorrow?"

"He might be," Laura said slowly. "Blake's not as demanding as Sophia, and he's only got a half-day of shooting, right?"

"Right," Ricardo confirmed. "It might take a little sweet-talking on my part to convince Blake to take an assistant, especially a man, but I think Miles is right for the job."

"Good. He's a nice guy," she said, smiling in the dim evening light.

"I knew it!"

"What?" Laura asked, looking across at her brother.

"You think he's hot!"

"I do not!" she protested, feeling her cheeks turn red. "And even if I do, what does it matter?"

Ricardo laughed. "Ma's gonna love it if you bring him home."

"Ricky! Don't even joke about that! She'll have the wedding planned before she even hears his last name!"

That only made him laugh harder. Laura shook her head. "Besides, the idea is for Sophia to flirt with him. He's just got to keep Blake away from me."

"Right. And that's the only interest you have in him - as a human shield."

"Yes."

As Ricardo dissolved into another fit of laughter, Laura rolled her eyes and got up from her chair.

"Hey, where are you going?" her brother asked.

"To say good night to Mama and the rest. It sounds like I'm going to have a REALLY long day at work tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment