Friday, July 31, 2009

24

Miles stood beside Blake Herrington's trailer and watched as the actor spoke with the director. They had their heads close together, and both of them kept looking in his direction. Unfortunately, he was too far away to hear what they were saying.

"I hate it when they do that," Laura said softly as she walked up behind Miles. The young man jumped as he turned to see who had snuck up on him. "Sorry," she added with a laugh. "Didn't mean to startle you."

"It's okay," Miles said, looking back towards the other two men. "Do they talk like that often?"

"You mean do they talk about you almost like you're not there? Yeah, they all do that a lot around here."

Miles tried to stifle a sigh. "I'm not sure I'm cut out for this," he said. "There seems to be a lot of... I don't know. Cattiness?"

Laura looked at him with one eyebrow raised. "Cattiness on a movie set is a surprise for you? Miles, have you been living under a rock?"

He laughed a little at that. "No. I mean, I'd heard stories, but I figured they were just stories."

Laura smiled sympathetically at him. "You get used to it," she told him. "And you get a nice, thick skin."

Across the lot, Blake threw his hands up, as if defeated. The director nodded once, then turned and left. A moment later, Blake started towards his trailer.

"And that's my cue to leave," Laura said quickly, watching the actor's approach. "I'll be around if you need me."

Before Miles could say anything, he was alone. That didn't last, however, as Blake walked up to him.

"You're my assistant," the actor said without prelude.

"Yes, sir," Miles replied, looking the other man in the eye.

"Fine. Get me a coffee."

"How do you take-"

"Get. Coffee." Blake turned and walked into his trailer.

"Yes, sir," Miles said to the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment