Monday, August 3, 2009

25

"Coffee for Mr. Herrington, please," Miles said to the girl at the coffee stand.

"Another one?" Laura asked, coming up behind him.

Miles gave a short laugh. "I don't think he knows what else to do with me. This is... let's see... coffee number ten."

"It's only noon."

"I know. Trust me, I know." Miles shook his head. "Think it'll get better?"

"Probably," Laura replied.

"Here you go, cutie," the coffee girl said, passing the cup to Miles.

"Coffee for Ms. Cornish, please," Laura requested, trying not to roll her eyes at the girl's overly-obvious attempt to get Miles' attention.

"And I think that coffee girl thinks I'm hitting on her," Miles whispered, leaning over to Laura.

The other assistant laughed. "With ten coffees this morning? I'd think so, too! Cheer up, it's got to get better."

"Sure," Miles said, sounding doubtful.

"Eventually, he'll figure out something else for you to do. Maybe you'll get to wash his car. Or deliver his dry cleaning. Or - my favourite - return gifts from fans to stores for cash."

"You've done that??"

"All part of the job, Miles," Laura replied, taking the cup of coffee from the starry-eyed girl at the counter. "You'll learn to love it, or you'll find something else to do with your life."

"And you've learned to love it?"

"I didn't say that." Laura grinned, then hurried off to her waiting starlet. Miles watched her go, wondering about that last comment. Finally, he shrugged and headed back towards Blake's trailer, trying to come up with something - anything - else he could do for the actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment