Friday, August 7, 2009

28

"I'm not just a coffee boy anymore, I swear," Miles told Laura with a grin as he waited for Blake's morning drink to be ready.

"Looks like you're doing a lot of other stuff," Laura replied, laughing.

"Yeah, well, not JUST a coffee boy," he said. "Haven't seen you much today, though - you've been busy, I guess?"

"Sophia's having a hard day," Laura told him. "Things haven't been going right since she showed up, and I think Mr. Jarvis is getting close to just wrapping for the day."

"Really? He'd do that because one of the actors is having a bad day?" Miles asked.

"One of the leads is approaching a meltdown - that's different than just an actor having a bad day," Laura tried to explain. "It really has been that bad. Like I said, since she got here today, things have just been going wrong. Wardrobe screwed up, hair and makeup were late, Blake's been taunting her..."

"Yeah, I noticed that," Miles said. "I wasn't sure if that was normal or not."

"Normal, yeah. Appreciated? Not so much." Laura shook her head. "Look, I've got to run," she said, taking the coffee from the girl at the counter. "Maybe I'll catch you after we wrap for the day? You know, compare notes, maybe?"

"Sure," Miles said, smiling at her. "I'll keep my eyes open for you."

Laura smiled back before turning and walking away. Somehow, she felt her cheeks getting a little red - had she just made plans with him? Sure, it was for work, but still... Laura tried not to think about how long it had been since she'd been on a date of any sort. Suddenly, the day seemed as if it might never end.

(291)

No comments:

Post a Comment